Thank you for applying for a SAF volunteer for the Into the Fields Internship or Fellowship Program.
Student Action with Farmworkers (SAF) develops the leadership of college students from diverse backgrounds, giving them the opportunity to work directly with farmworkers in the Carolinas. Each year, SAF trains approximately 24 students on farmworker issues, and places them to work full-time with migrant education programs, legal aid offices, rural health clinics, community-based organizations and farmworker unions. SAF increases the capacity of the organizations they work with by outreaching to 5,000 farmworkers & their families each summer. Interns work for 10 weeks while fellows work for 5 months improving farmworkers' access to healthcare.
SAF will preference sponsor applicants who meet the following criteria and program expectations (this is a partial list):
- Prioritizes work with agricultural workers or migrant/out of school youth (SAF defines agricultural workers as individuals that work in field crops & food and animal processing)
- Located in target states of NC or SC
- Provides regular opportunities for interns/fellows to conduct outreach to agricultural workers (2.5 days/week minimum)
- Provides 35-40 hours of work each week per participant throughout the program
- Provides a direct supervisor to participants that meets with them once a week
- Contributes toward the cost of SAF's work linking students with farmworkers
- Demonstrates commitment to SAF's organizational values, office culture, & pro-equity/dismantling oppression values.
|2020 PROGRAM TIMELINE
||Sponsor application deadline
|Nov 20-Dec 6
||Sponsors Notified of Selection/Waitlist/Decline
|March & April
||NC & SC Sponsor Trainings
| April 3
||Placement Notifications Sent to Sponsors
| May 31-June 5
||Orientation with ITF participants
||First day of on-site work
||Mid-Retreat with ITF Interns
||Final Retreat with ITF Interns
||Fellows Fall Retreat